2012 Candlelight Tour of Homes
Sunday December 2, 2012, 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
South Main Historic District, Middletown, Ohio
The members of the South Main Historic Neighborhood Association would like to welcome you to our neighborhood. Eight homes dating from 1875 to 1927 will be open for the tour. The homes represent a variety of styles including, Queen Anne, Victorian Italianate, and Spanish revival.
There will also be three churches included in the tour:
- Bethlehem Lutheran Church, dating from 1859.
- St. Paul's United Church of Christ, dating from 1877 and 1891.
- First Methodist Church, dating from 1890.
We are also pleased to include three historic commercial buildings on the the tour:
- The Pickwick Building, the second oldest commercial building in Middletown.
- The Sorg Opera House.
- The Clubhouse of Forest Hills Country Club.
For nearly three decades, homeowners in the South Main Street Historic District have opened their homes for the Candlelight Tour of Homes, which is currently held every other year. The Candlelight Tour is a chance for residents to share the things that we love about our neighborhood: architectural details that can't be found anywhere else, a deep-rooted connection to Middletown's history, and sense of community fostered by sidewalks and front porches that were built for a slower-paced era. As in the past, we will be offering free carriage rides along the tour path.
The proceeds of the Candlelight Tour are used to maintain the Robbins Fountain in Old South Park and for other projects to promote the preservation of and education about the South Main Street Historic District. The South Main Historic Neighborhood Association (PRISM – Preservation, Restoration, and Improvement of South Main) is a non-profit, 501(c) 3 corporation.
Weather can be unpredictable at this time of year. If there is snow or other inclement weather, additional care should be taken outside as you travel between homes. Inside the tour homes, only designated areas are open to the public.
During the Candlelight Tour please observe the following guidelines:
1. To avoid accidents and respect privacy, please stay in the designated areas, both inside and outside the tour homes.
2. Be careful to avoid bumping into candles, decorations, or other fragile items inside homes.
3. Use of cameras and video equipment inside homes is generally prohibited.
4. Each person must have a ticket. The only exception is for infants and toddlers in arms.
The members of the South Main Historic Neighborhood Association would like to thank the Middletown Convention and Visitors Bureau for its support of the 2012 Candlelight Tour.